Monday, January 2, 2012

What's with "Bible in One Hand"?

Over the past year and a half I’ve tried to figure out what one roof covers all my work. Since I retired from LPTS my primary daily tasks have been the book for Westminster John Knox (2013) on Scripture and environmental stewardship and the Isaiah commentary for Smyth and Helwys. As many of you with whom I've worked recently know, I’ve also been writing Bible studies, adult curricula, lectionary materials, dictionary entries, study Bible notes, shorter commentaries, scholarly papers, meditations, and sermons, and have had the privilege of teaching and preaching in a wide variety of settings, leading and participating in travel seminars, taking part in conferences and other learning opportunities, volunteering at Don's church--and doing some other amazing things, such as participating in three of our children's weddings in Nepal, New York City, and Louisville. What the rest of my professional life will entail is still an unfolding adventure, and will be, I hope, clear through. 

But one thing has become very clear, and that is that it all seems to be with the “Bible in One Hand,” as Karl Barth said. He said, “The newspaper in the other.” I find myself holding—at least for now—certain aspects of that 21st-century newspaper most closely: interfaith relations, the middle east and American Christian relationships there, the non-human world that surrounds us, the question of how do we live simply, lightly, and relationally as people of faith, given the multiple and baffling challenges we find ourselves facing today. 
So “Bible in one hand” seemed like an appropriate summary. Not Bible in two hands, to use as a weapon, nor Bible in no hands to be abandoned, but Bible as conversation partner, fellow traveler, guide, point of inquiry. We’ll see what else goes in the other hand along the way.

For now, lots of preparations before Thursday. See you from Turkey!

P. S. I can't help but mention this: I will be going to see my amazing daughter Claire, but my incredible son Ian is featured this month in Presbyterians Today, and can be seen in a fabulous documentary at: http://mediastorm.com/training/voice. Now when I got to parties I am pretty much just "Are you Claire's/Ian's mom?" As it should be.

1 comment:

  1. Tricia: Traveling mercies on your journeys. What a grand adventure you will be on - and will be sharing with the rest of your travel partners sitting at their computers. I look forward to keeping up with you on your journey.
    Blessings in this New Year. Diana Moore

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment here...